Pure Guided Reading (Semester 2 Intake Open Now!)
Most of us, when first starting out, were thrown into the classroom with very little practical experience. (The sink or swim method as we call it!) If you landed in a school that uses a ‘workshop model,’ you may have found yourself searching frantically to find out anything you could about guided reading, so you could hit the ground running.
Over the years you may have cobbled together different bits of information, research and knowledge about running guided reading in the classroom but you may never have had explicit training in the what, why and how of Guided Reading in its pure form.
Are any of these true for you?
- You’re wanting reassurance to know you’re ‘doing’ guided reading right.
- You’re looking for a clear way to structure and plan your guided reading lessons.
- You’re interested in knowing more about grouping your students based on need as well as the level.
- You’re wondering where independent reading and conferring fits into all this?
If so, then this Guided Reading Course is right for you!
In this online course, you’ll be guided through:
- Looking at the research behind guided reading and how it fits into a gradual release of responsibility model.
- Highlighting assessments you can use to help inform grouping for guided reading.
- Outlining a structure for guided reading lessons (including providing a plan you can take away and use immediately).
- Viewing guided reading lessons in action.
Note: This course has been designed to support individual teachers and/or groups of teachers (eg. a PLC group) to work through the lessons over a period of 5 weeks.
- Module 1: Building the Foundation
- Session 2: Assessment
- Session 3: Text Selection / Lesson Structure
- Session 4: Before / During / After the lesson
- Session 5: Planning a Lesson
Modules will consist of:
- Recorded Presentations
- PDF Tasks
- PDF Resources (to be used in your classroom)
- Additional professional readings
- What: 5 Modules (rolled out over 5 weeks)
- Where: On the Mardi Gorman and Oz Lit Teacher course website (Kajabi) – you’ll get login details as soon as you purchase the course.
- When: The first module will start July 19, 2021 (You will have access to the course contents for 6 months).
- Cost: $250+GST per person (with 5% being donated to the Indigenous Literacy Foundation) If you have more than 10 staff, please contact [email protected] for a large school discount.
- If you’d like an invoice so your school can pay, just send an invoice request to [email protected]
What past participants have said about this PD:
“Excellent summation of the value of reading, how to deliver, strategies, evidence based content, an excellent presentation by two highly equipped presenters. Most inspiring! I have recommended to our principal that she offer this to all staff in our school so that we may have a consistent language and approach across our school.” –Joanne
“I think the format (weekly) made the content really accessible and easy to trial in between before building on the knowledge. I also appreciated how much it clarified a lot of the information I had on Guided Reading and gave me a really strong picture of the aims and purpose of G.R. (and running records/small group instruction/etc).” -Stef
“It was such an invaluable course. Very clear, insightful, with meaningful knowledge to support the activities which clearly made sense. I can’t wait to implement it into my classroom practice as I now feel that I have the confidence to do so. I would definitely recommend Mardi and Riss’s courses and am looking forward to upskilling my teaching practice with attending more!” -Karly